To Garner Wisdom

"Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy. The amount of work is the same."~~~Francesca Reigler

Friday, October 29

Them Folks Up North


White Magnolia Art Prints in Watercolor Painting Wall Art Magnolias 13"x19"
Click Print
 It is a long way from Detroit to North Alabama. We left the north with no thoughts of ever returning. I have, but my little brother never has. After we got here there really were no emotional reasons why we did not visit our grandparents, honestly. It would be dramatic to say we would have to stay is why we didn't go back. Really I think we just didn't, because of the trouble. Buy bus tickets and such. My little brother as an adult had his reasons. His reasoning for never going back stems from the worship of the dear southern people that rescued us from being hungry, wet and cold. That was forty years ago. He never has talked about the north much. The mentioning he did was that he had no need for none of our relatives that lived in Michigan. He wants to give the impression that he does not remember much about living there. This is possible.

I must have the best long term memory of just about anyone. He may vaguely have some memories that are not pleasant ones. He may not remember the wet and cold as well as I, because he was not much out of diapers when we got on that Greyhound bus, to Pulaski Tennessee... The bus was taking us to Tennessee not Alabama. At seven years old I did not sit down the whole seven hundred and something miles. How could I sit down? These brilliant parents of mine were taking me to the wrong place.
He did have a discussion with Uncle Buddy. He was married to Mama’s sister. Uncle Buddy said that if Daddy would have manned up Mama would have a home when Daddy died. All this was going on because, Grandmother sent Mama to Michigan when Daddy died, on the Greyhound Bus. When a not so tacky amount of time had passed the northern kinfolk would put her on the bus back to Pulaski Tennessee. I learned after standing for seven hundred miles was the right bus stop, after all. It was ok to leave going up north. It was also the right place to get off the bus for Alabama.
I returned when my grandpa died. I did this mainly to travel with Mama to her father’s funeral. Her mother had died the same day my twins were born. An option that was not a given at all for me. Mama did ride the bus to attend her mother’s funeral. She would not stay with her sister and nephew for a visit. She was too anxious to get back to Alabama to see me and her new grandchildren. The impression that the rest of the world had of my mother was different for the one I had. To the southern family she obtained by marrying my father she was far from normal. To me she was anything that I could get her to do for me. The excuse I stole from my little brother; was that she had never done what she should as a mother for me; This was to rationalize that it was ok to make her do the things I did not want to do. To the southern kin Mama may have not been all there; to me she was my mother.

No comments:

Shade Tree Mechanics

Shade Tree Mechanics
Working on a car can be dangerous. The car can fall if it is jacked up and fall. With daddy working on anything seemed as if fire was the main danger. Grandmother's house had not been built back long after their fire. We were living in a new brick house, which I thought was a mansion. I drive by there now and am amazed at how small it seems. That night he had pulled the navy blue Dodge Dart he was driving at the time beside the carport. I always got really worried when he tried to do something drunk. He had to, just had to get the car fixed, to go visit Parker. Parker was the local bootlegger. One of the local bootleggers. Lauderdale County was dry. Traveling to Pulaski was really not an option, considering the not so reliable car Daddy had. I could see out the kitchen door as he stood under the hood messing with the breather on the top of the engine. He took it off and was pouring gas into the carburetor. The next thing I knew flames were coming from under the hood of the car. Forget there being an easy way to put the fire out. There was not a water hose hooked up. It was before fire extinguishers were standard in homes. Dirt was the answer at that moment. I saw the fire and him getting sand from the pile that was left in front of the house from the building back of Grandmothers house. The fire was finally put out, but the car was in need of more repairs than before he started.

Shoals Bloggers

Shoals Bloggers
Click to see Bloggers