To Garner Wisdom

"Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy. The amount of work is the same."~~~Francesca Reigler

Wednesday, November 24

Thanksgiving


Harvest Rustic Thanksgiving Turkey Figure
Figurine
  
BRONZE TREE OF LIFE
Click Family Tree
 My grandmother always dreaded the holidays.
She said that so many bad things had happened in our family during the holidays. I wonder if it is just our family or does it really seem that tragedy strikes many during the holiday's. It could be that we pay more attention, because someone's happy time of year has been interupted. My grandaddy died on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. This made our family attend his funeral on Thanksgiving Day. He was placed in the livingroom of our new brick house that was built that year. It was built that year, because on Thankgiving the previous year the house had caught on fire. It had caught fire while my grandmother was in the hospital. Four years before this fire, there had been the fire that killed my Uncle Bill, his wife and his twelve year old son, Wade. With all of these bad things happening at Thanksgiving it is easy to see why grandmother always said Thanksgiving was a bad time for our family. It really did not end with their generation. The holiday time seems to still be when we loose members of the family. Last year just after Christmas Keith's son was killed in an car accident. In 1993 Aunt Faye's son in law was killed just before Halloween. This being the year I accept as the end of life as I knew it because, my husband was driving the car. This is when I decided that ok, I can't have a nervous breakdown today, I have too much to worry about fixing. I have to go to work, I'll breakdown on a day that I have more time. "Make a riffle," is what my grandmother called having to fix things that were going wrong.
Garnering Wisdom is not just getting wisdom from the wise, it is remembering the messed up and not doing the things they did.
I thank all the people that I have garnered such wisdom from. Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful and I am going to continue to be thankful. Thankful that God has helped me make it another day. This is my prayer each night, not just Thanksgiving; "Thank you God for helping me make it through this day."

No comments:

Shade Tree Mechanics

Shade Tree Mechanics
Working on a car can be dangerous. The car can fall if it is jacked up and fall. With daddy working on anything seemed as if fire was the main danger. Grandmother's house had not been built back long after their fire. We were living in a new brick house, which I thought was a mansion. I drive by there now and am amazed at how small it seems. That night he had pulled the navy blue Dodge Dart he was driving at the time beside the carport. I always got really worried when he tried to do something drunk. He had to, just had to get the car fixed, to go visit Parker. Parker was the local bootlegger. One of the local bootleggers. Lauderdale County was dry. Traveling to Pulaski was really not an option, considering the not so reliable car Daddy had. I could see out the kitchen door as he stood under the hood messing with the breather on the top of the engine. He took it off and was pouring gas into the carburetor. The next thing I knew flames were coming from under the hood of the car. Forget there being an easy way to put the fire out. There was not a water hose hooked up. It was before fire extinguishers were standard in homes. Dirt was the answer at that moment. I saw the fire and him getting sand from the pile that was left in front of the house from the building back of Grandmothers house. The fire was finally put out, but the car was in need of more repairs than before he started.

Shoals Bloggers

Shoals Bloggers
Click to see Bloggers