To Garner Wisdom

"Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy. The amount of work is the same."~~~Francesca Reigler

Wednesday, August 3

You Can't Make This Stuff Up

On my way to work today. I saw a guy walking downtown, Florence. I knew that walk. There is an unmistakable Garner walk. My daddy, my brother and my cousins all have that walk. The guy walking was my now middle aged boy cousin. He has sort of been missing for a while. Not totally missing; We all knew he had went to re-hab. We all knew he was in some sort of halfway home. I really knew it was here in town. The six of us all have demons we live with on a day to day basis because of the things we saw growing up. My brother does the best of the six of us. My girl cousin, my daddy's sisters oldest does even better than him. My brother is the only one of the six that married and stayed married to the same girl. The rest of us are divorced and living the life God did not plan for us to live. I firmly believe that God had a reason for making us vow, until death do we part. That other part about; Let no man put ith under, however it is; Is the way it is supposed to be. My parents stayed together. They fought and he drank, but we did not have to worry about step this and step that. We just had to deal with our own. Nobody loves your children the way that their real parents loves them. Well there are exceptions to that statement, but all in all God knew that it would be easier if only blood was involved. My aunt stayed with Uncle Keith even though he was close to the devil to her. She stayed, but strayed. She worked to give him whiskey. She gave him whiskey I think at the end to be able to hide the affairs. Uncle Keith's sister gave him work when he was sober and well enough to go. He did this over and over until his 44 short years on earth were over.

No comments:

Shade Tree Mechanics

Shade Tree Mechanics
Working on a car can be dangerous. The car can fall if it is jacked up and fall. With daddy working on anything seemed as if fire was the main danger. Grandmother's house had not been built back long after their fire. We were living in a new brick house, which I thought was a mansion. I drive by there now and am amazed at how small it seems. That night he had pulled the navy blue Dodge Dart he was driving at the time beside the carport. I always got really worried when he tried to do something drunk. He had to, just had to get the car fixed, to go visit Parker. Parker was the local bootlegger. One of the local bootleggers. Lauderdale County was dry. Traveling to Pulaski was really not an option, considering the not so reliable car Daddy had. I could see out the kitchen door as he stood under the hood messing with the breather on the top of the engine. He took it off and was pouring gas into the carburetor. The next thing I knew flames were coming from under the hood of the car. Forget there being an easy way to put the fire out. There was not a water hose hooked up. It was before fire extinguishers were standard in homes. Dirt was the answer at that moment. I saw the fire and him getting sand from the pile that was left in front of the house from the building back of Grandmothers house. The fire was finally put out, but the car was in need of more repairs than before he started.

Shoals Bloggers

Shoals Bloggers
Click to see Bloggers