To Garner Wisdom

"Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy. The amount of work is the same."~~~Francesca Reigler

Tuesday, August 24

The Sixites With Visitors

The day that she was supposed to have neglected me; letting me play in the dirt, while she sat under the tree drinking beer was a story told over and over. Why this was such a retold story makes me wonder if anyone is really all good. My aunt that took care of me on that visit in my eyes was a wonderful lady. It didn’t take much to win the love of a toddler. It never has ceased to amaze me how people as a rule see the bad in most everyone; before they find the good. Mama was surrounded by a bunch always looking for something wrong with what she did or said. She was more than likely someone to be envious of.
 Kick Ass CD
She was very pretty when I was a child. She was always a little too nice to men. We went to the doctor way more than necessary, because he was good looking. She took us regularly until there was no money to pay the doctor with. The southern boys that came to visit were not worth the effort for her. She really hated seeing them coming. Their visits consisted of drinking and bringing any women they could find to bring to our house. She did join in the festivities at times. She could play the piano by hear or she thought she could. I remember her banging, but really don’t remember if it was really bad; I am almost sure it wasn’t really good.
Mama wanted to make friends with the bar girls, so she joined in. It was usually late or early morning before the gang arrived at our house on Morley. The White boys were regular tourists to Michigan. Their good looks made it easy for them to pick-up girls from the bars on Ford Road. In they would come; it was hard for me not to notice if they put their hands up the young women’s blouses. This memory is one that stuck in my nosey little brain.
I have no reason to ever care a hill of beans about these guys. I seen them as bad, because Mama usually got upset with Daddy when they came and after they left. It has really not taken a whole lot for me to love, forgive and find the good in most people. I could also see the bad, but it would not take much for me to forget that; the art of forgiving will get you a very long way.  The trick I also learned at an early age. This was to tune out anything or anyone that I really did not what to hear. This has made me a poor listener today.
I had to have been like a sponge, soaking up all the grown-up business that I could. Always knowing how bad adults could be was probably why I have worried all my life. The good I gathered from them was because I found it in them myself.  I forgave and tried to forget as much as possible. Blocking bad experiences from my mind is something I wasn’t lucky enough to do.

No comments:

Shade Tree Mechanics

Shade Tree Mechanics
Working on a car can be dangerous. The car can fall if it is jacked up and fall. With daddy working on anything seemed as if fire was the main danger. Grandmother's house had not been built back long after their fire. We were living in a new brick house, which I thought was a mansion. I drive by there now and am amazed at how small it seems. That night he had pulled the navy blue Dodge Dart he was driving at the time beside the carport. I always got really worried when he tried to do something drunk. He had to, just had to get the car fixed, to go visit Parker. Parker was the local bootlegger. One of the local bootleggers. Lauderdale County was dry. Traveling to Pulaski was really not an option, considering the not so reliable car Daddy had. I could see out the kitchen door as he stood under the hood messing with the breather on the top of the engine. He took it off and was pouring gas into the carburetor. The next thing I knew flames were coming from under the hood of the car. Forget there being an easy way to put the fire out. There was not a water hose hooked up. It was before fire extinguishers were standard in homes. Dirt was the answer at that moment. I saw the fire and him getting sand from the pile that was left in front of the house from the building back of Grandmothers house. The fire was finally put out, but the car was in need of more repairs than before he started.

Shoals Bloggers

Shoals Bloggers
Click to see Bloggers