To Garner Wisdom

"Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy. The amount of work is the same."~~~Francesca Reigler

Monday, September 20

Reason's Still

Of all the people I have known well there is not a single person that I can honestly say has not done something immoral at one time or another. Looking back the people I loved the most; I knew the most about. Be it just saying something mean to or about someone; there really is not a perfect person. Lets not talk about perfect then. How about just a good person. To me a good person, really deep in side has that heart that at the time you need them the most will give back to you. It may not be things; It may not be money. Being kind to you when you need it is probably the best thing anyone could give you. Give yourself to someone you have abused or mistreated and forgiveness may come your way.
Mama never changed the sheets on the bed when I wet it. That is why if I think of Detroit or hear it I think of being cold. I moved from one spot to another each night trying to find the dryest spot. It was still cold from the spot that got me wet to begin with. I should have just crawled in the floor. I don't think there was water in the floor of the bedroom. There was always water in the bathroom floor. I say this remembering at this moment the worst of times. There was a time in that house on Morley, before Daddy lost his job that everything was better.  Again was she lazy? Really what is so bad about being lazy? Not being lazy I think comes with living. When I was young I had the energy it took to get out of doing things. As we live and learn it is easier to just do something than to try to work your way out of it.
Many years later Mama did anything I asked her to do and I asked her to do alot. She was here because she had no place else to go. She gave back to me and I wonder if the reason she did everything I asked her was to make up for some of that stuff she didn't do.

No comments:

Shade Tree Mechanics

Shade Tree Mechanics
Working on a car can be dangerous. The car can fall if it is jacked up and fall. With daddy working on anything seemed as if fire was the main danger. Grandmother's house had not been built back long after their fire. We were living in a new brick house, which I thought was a mansion. I drive by there now and am amazed at how small it seems. That night he had pulled the navy blue Dodge Dart he was driving at the time beside the carport. I always got really worried when he tried to do something drunk. He had to, just had to get the car fixed, to go visit Parker. Parker was the local bootlegger. One of the local bootleggers. Lauderdale County was dry. Traveling to Pulaski was really not an option, considering the not so reliable car Daddy had. I could see out the kitchen door as he stood under the hood messing with the breather on the top of the engine. He took it off and was pouring gas into the carburetor. The next thing I knew flames were coming from under the hood of the car. Forget there being an easy way to put the fire out. There was not a water hose hooked up. It was before fire extinguishers were standard in homes. Dirt was the answer at that moment. I saw the fire and him getting sand from the pile that was left in front of the house from the building back of Grandmothers house. The fire was finally put out, but the car was in need of more repairs than before he started.

Shoals Bloggers

Shoals Bloggers
Click to see Bloggers